Enjoy this favorite Mexican dish of mine that is healthier, but still delicious! Heather’s favorite healthy pick is her side dish which pairs nicely to this meal!
You will need a 9 inch round pie pan, or a circular glass dish close to those dimensions for this meal.
- 1 pound ground sirloin or ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free lower sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon less sodium taco seasoning (example: Old El Paso)
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup (1 ½ ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can less sodium black beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilis (such as Rotel)
- One batch of Cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat large skillet on medium-high. Cook beef and onion for 6 minutes in pan, stirring frequently until beef crumbles.
- Use medium saucepan and heat over medium-high. Melt butter. Next, sauté garlic for 1 minute in pan. Sprinkle flour into pan and stir frequently while cooking for 30 seconds. Broth, tomato sauce and taco seasoning will be added next. Bring mixture to a boil, then cook 2 more minutes while stirring seldomly. Measure 1 ½ cups of tomato mixture, and add it to the beef mixture. Make sure to save ½ cup tomato mixture and place it aside.
- Use the 9-inch pie plate or 9-inch circular glass dish. Place 1 tortilla on the plate/dish. Add 1 cup beef mixture on top. Repeat layers until you end with tortilla. Take the remaining ½ cup tomato mixture and pour over top tortilla. Add cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cool, cut into fourths, and enjoy!
- Calories 377
- Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7 g
- Mono unsaturated fat 5.3 g
- Poly unsaturated fat 1.6 g
- Protein 30.2 g
- Carbohydrate 32.4 g
- Fiber 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 76 mg
- Iron 2.5 mg
- Sodium 650 mg
- Calcium 91 mg
Side Dish Directions
- Drain the canned items before pouring them into a bowl together.
- Mix them together.
- Finely chop cilantro. Mix ¼ a bunch or cilantro (or more if desired) into the combination, or use it as a garnish on top of a scoop.